Adapted from Natural Beauty Alchemy by Fifi M. Maacaron
- 1 ounce (30 ml) vegetable oil or shea butter
- 2 tsp vegetable-rived emulsifier, like lecithin or glyceryl stearate
- 10 drops (0.5 ml) vitamin E oil
- 2 ounces (60 ml) water or hydrosol, like rosewater
- 20 drops (1 ml) botanical extract, like pomegranate seed
- 3 drops rosemary oil extract or grape seed extract
- 10 drops (0.5 ml) essential oil of choice
- Melt butter or heat vegetable oil in double boiler over low heat. Mix in emulsifier and vitamin E, stirring continuously.
- Heat water phase in another double boiler. Add botanical extract if stable at high temperature or add later.
- Using a candy thermometer bring both the oil/butter phase and water phase to 170 degrees F.
- Turn off heat and slowly pour the oil phase over the water phase in a thin stream, whisking vigorously by hand or stick blender.
- Mixture should blend into whitish cream texture as it cools to 100 degrees F.
- Add extracts and essential oils, whisking until blended.
- Transfer to sanitized glass jar, and cool to room temperature before putting on lid.