Adapted from Natural Beauty Alchemy by Fifi M. Maacaron
- 1 ounce (30 ml) unbleached, unrefined grated beeswax
- 2 ounces (60 ml) almond oil (can substitute grape seed, rice bran or wheat germ)
- 20 drops (1 ml) vitamin E oil
- 1 ounce (30 ml) water or hydrosol, like rosewater
- 20 drops (1 ml) botanical extract, like watermelon
- 4 drop rosemary oil extract (as preservative)
- 20 drops (1 ml) essential oil of choice
- Melt wax in double boiler. Add almond oil and vitamin E to melted beeswax one at a time, still heating, and whisk continuously.
- Heat hydrosol in another double boiler. Using a candy thermometer bring both the oil/wax phase and water phase to 175 degrees F.
- Turn off heat and slowly pour the water phase over the oil/wax phase in a thin stream, whisking vigorously by hand or stick blender.
- Mix as it cools, adding remaining ingredients one by one.
- Transfer to sanitized glass jar, and cool to room temperature before putting on lid.
- Apply as a night cream, alternating with lighter cream so skin breathes.