Adapted from Natural Beauty Alchemy by Fifi M. Maacaron
- 1/2 cup rosewater (or hydrosol of choice)
- 1 tsp exfoliating agent (ground oats, almond meal)
- 10 drops (o.5 ml) vitamin B5
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 5 drops essential oil (optional)
- Using candy thermometer, warm rosewater to 100 degrees F in double boiler.
- Turn off heat and gradually sprinkle in exfoliating agent while whisking. Add small amounts of xanthan gum until mixture thickens (too much ruins texture and it will spontaneously thicken more).
- Add essential oil, whisking vigorously.
- Transfer mixture to a bottle and refrigerate 45 minutes for further thickening.
- Massage quarter-size amount onto dry or moist face and neck. Scrub gently and remove with cotton disk.
- Rinse and pat dry.